Roadmap 2024

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Wed Jan 10 11:59:03 CET 2024

Hi Johannes,

thank you for sharing your view. In fact, I remember you putting the
usability topic on the agenda one year ago. So I somewhat expected you
resonating with my proposal, and I'm not disappointed. :-)

It is great reading that you already have the natural continuation of
the IOMMU work in the back of your head. The plan about the
application-centered book is splendid. This is definitely a missing
piece of the puzzle today.

What you write about the new devices on your plate invokes quite a few
cross-connections to other topics we discussed. In particular, I welcome
another demanding use case for a practical touch UI besides the phone.
Your tablet would fit just right. This is very much in line with John's
desire about PC touch-screen support. Since I've put the revisiting of
the GUI-stack on the schedule, this aspect must be part of it (e.g.,
making the window manager touch-aware, interplay of multi-monitor
support and touch).

The vision of self-hosted Goa on Genode is mutual. However, I agree that
adverting it on the road map for this year would be over-ambitious.