Roadmap 2024

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Wed Jan 3 00:54:10 CET 2024

On 12/21/23 10:57, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hello everyone,

[snip]

> How are your interests aligned with the perspective shared above?

I failed miserably last year, but my main goal for the new year (again)
is to make Genode my "daily driver" OS.  This obviously fits perfectly
with the "Year Of Sculpt OS Usability" motif, and I will be a willing
and eager tester/adopter of whatever this brings.

> Do you see specific pain points that deserve the attention of Genode's
> core developer team?

Not a pain point, but a wish - absolute pointer support for PC
touchscreens.  The touch interface works surprisingly well on the small
phone screen, but would really shine on a larger screen.

(In a similar vein, screen rotation would also be nice, but I don't know
if there are architectural difficulties there.)

> What is your perspective on Genode's past year's accomplishments?

Congratulations to the entire team and community for another impressive
year!  Along side the driver system improvements, "rocking" the
PinePhone was really impressive (and fun!), but the biggest highlight
for me was the new system update mechanism.  That was a usability
game-changer!

> Can you share your ambitions or even concrete plans?

As mentioned above, my #1 goal for the year is to move to Sculpt as my
"daily driver" OS.  This will start with running VMs in VirtualBox, but
I really want to migrate to native apps where possible.  As I progress
on this road, I will try to write some "newbie" articles for
Genodians.org, etc.

There are so many facets of native Genode development that I would love
to explore, but considering my time constraints, I will keep my
expectations realistic. :^(  But I will try!

> How and where would you like to see Genode at the end of 2024?

On every alternative OS enthusiast's computer (and phone), of course!  ;^)

Seriously, IMO most if not all of the building blocks are in place for
wider adoption; if the Year Of Usability lowers a few barriers to entry,
Genode may finally get the attention it has deserved for years.

  Happy Sculpting!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com