Roadmap 2024

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Wed Jan 3 08:26:16 CET 2024

Hi Colin,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 16:46:49 CET, Colin Parker wrote:
> In the meantime, I may also take a look again at the
> issue with Apple hardware and PS2 drivers, which is a minor annoyance. I
> think the ideal way would be for the PS2 driver to consume an ACPI report
> somehow and shut itself off in the event the PS2 hardware is not present,
> but I have to see how hard this would be to implement, as I have no
> experience with ACPI.

I desire a similar feature since ages as we also have a test PC that
behaves stranges on the PS/2 port (mouse protocol). Unfortunately, it
is not trivial to detect PS/2 resources from ACPI and, in fact,
requires to run the _STA/_CRS AML method for requesting the "function"
state and current resources.

During my exploration of improved boot-time ACPI discovery, I had
promising results when checking PNP0F13/PNP0F03 ACPI devices. In the
case of modern notebooks, those devices only get state "functioning"
if the PS/2 mouse emulation was enabled in BIOS. My plan includes to
enhance the platform devices boot-time information with data about
detected ACPI devices and their resources. This information could than
be used by the platform_drv to amend the platform session of the PS/2
driver with device information. As a result, the driver may initialize
only those devices (mouse or keyboard) detected on boot.

In the meantime, you may check the ACPI information for the device in
Linux or MacOS. Look out for devices with HID/CID PNP0F13 or PNP0F03
(mouse) resp. PNP0303 (keyboard).

Greets
--
Christian Helmuth