Roadmap 2024

Michael Grunditz michael.grunditz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 12:53:37 CET 2023

In message <ab8dc2c1-cf33-4069-bc42-d63439f2aaa4 at genode-labs.com>
          Norman Feske <norman.feske at genode-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,

> thank you for your response.

Replying with real email client :-)

>> I started out 2023 very ambitious, porting Genode to rockchip 3528.

Err should have been RK3588 :-)

>> For various reasons I needed to work on other projects. My plan for
>> 2024 is to add RK3399 as a sub target. That means Pinebook Pro and
>> Pinephone Pro. I guess that those two targets are wanted.

> I guess so too, as I see the latter being picked by the open-source
> hardware community, i.e., Lukas Hartmann in his recent posting [1].

> [1] https://mastodon.social/@mntmn/111649131139949948

A much needed upgrade for the MNT Reform laptop. i.MX8M is a bit slow for
use in a consumer device for general computing.

>> I also would like to see a layer for USB controllers like EHCI and
>> XHCI. I would be most happy if someone can walk me thru the pc usb
>> stack. I would like to cut lose EHCI from it and use that in my ports.
>> I believe that this is better than using linux driver all up to the
>> actual stack.

> I'd be curious how your goals are aligned with Stefan's ongoing redesign
> of Genode's USB infrastructure (explained at [2]) and his further plans
> down the road. I'm hopeful that you might benefit from his line of work.

> [2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/5021

I don't know. The plans linked is above what I want to do, if I understand
it right. I come from RISC OS lands , and in our rom we have EHCI,OHCI and
XHCI in seperate controller drivers. This all connects to what we call
USBDriver which is the main USB stack.

In Genode I would like to have something similar. It makes it very easy to
bring up on new platforms. In my case, Rockchip, I start USB ( power/phy)
from U-Boot. After that I only need to assign address and irq to the
controller driver. If Genode doesn't have native controller drivers at all
(in pc port) ( sorry haven't checked yet), I could try to bring in
controler drivers from BSD.

> Cheers and happy holidays!

> Norman

Happy end of 2023!