Roadmap 2024

Duss Pirmin pirmin.duss at gapfruit.com
Fri Dec 22 11:57:40 CET 2023

Hello Norman and all fellow Genodians

In this I only speak of my private achievements / plans, the company I'm
working for, will write a separate reply.

On 21.12.23 16:57, Norman Feske wrote:
> Do you see specific pain points that deserve the attention of Genode's
> core developer team?

For my private work I do see none.

> What is your perspective on Genode's past year's accomplishments?

When testing out my new Toy (MinisForum UM790 Pro, AMD CPU with an
integrated GPU), I was pleasantly surprised, that Sculpt did run out of
the box on it. I did no deeper analysis what drivers it did use, but I
was able to run the Falcon browser preset.

> Can you share your ambitions or even concrete plans?

Reflections on 2023

I did some initial testing with the first image of Sculpt for the
Pinephone. But as my setup at home doesn't want to connect the ADB to my
development virtual machine, I never came around to answer Normans
questions regarding my results, sorry for that. Hopefully I will be able
to figure this out at the 2024 Hack'n'Hike.

I did some progress with my NIC-driver for the Intel-IGC NIC driver. It
did start, but no communication yet. Around the Sculpt 23.10 release I
started the integration of IGC support in to the new nic_drv for the PC
platform. This in its current state sends out DHCP requests, but for
some reason the responses aren't sent back to the `nic_router`.

My other plans were to port Neovim using Goa and porting the
frame-buffer driver for AMD GPUs. On these I didn't really work as my
time was used up otherwise.

Plans for 2024

For this year I would like to do the following:
  - finish the integration of the IGC driver and provide it upstream
  - Re-start the development of the framebuffer driver
  - tryout how to bring multi monitor support for Sculpt

> How and where would you like to see Genode at the end of 2024?

If the GUI stack improvements would bring multi monitor support I would
be very happy.

Cheers and all the best,
Pirmin