One Small Step For Genode...

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Thu May 12 04:30:54 CEST 2022

On 5/10/22 11:55, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> There are indeed many packages to discover by now. Not all of them are
> covered by corresponding Genodians.org articles yet, but sometimes a
> look into the pkg's runtime and accompanied configurations is already
> quite instructive.
>
> It would be really nice if you write up your findings for other users to
> learn from. At one point, it would make sense to have an informally
> curated overview of what's available where.

That is a good idea.  Too good, in fact - I guess I will try to do it.

I haven't updated "Genode Corner" [1] for quite a while, but I will try
to reorganize it, and make a place for listing/describing interesting
packages.

If anyone has a package that they would like others to try, just send an
e-mail to "genodeinfo AT alternateapproach DOT com" with the location
and whatever description/instructions are relevant.  This also applies
to any other interesting info that you'd like to share.

Please keep in mind, this is not my forte, and I can't guarantee I will
do a good job, but I would love to help out as well as I can.  (At least
while the community is small.  As soon as someone with better abilities
comes along, I will be happy to hand over the raw data.)

[1] https://www.alternateapproach.com/computing/genode/genode_corner/

> While we are at it, let me just share one minor but enjoyable feature:
> By default, the window manager shows the window borders while a window
> is maximized. When using a VM in full screen, this is a waste of pixels.
> Now, with the black-hole component, one can simply route the window
> layouter's request for the "decorator margins" to the black hole,
> prompting the layouter to position a maximized window such that the
> window decor stays outside the visible area. I think that's is quite a
> nice hack.

Interesting.  It looks like I need to add a "Handy Tips" page also.  ;^)

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com