One Small Step For Genode...

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue May 10 17:55:02 CEST 2022

Hi John,

thank you for the enthusiastic feedback. Happy to have you on board! :)

> If any daily users have tips to share, I'll certainly be listening!  (If
> I come up with anything helpful, I will try to write it up for Genodians
> also.)  One thing I am very curious about is the state of the various
> packages in the depots - some of those look very intriguing!

There are indeed many packages to discover by now. Not all of them are
covered by corresponding Genodians.org articles yet, but sometimes a
look into the pkg's runtime and accompanied configurations is already
quite instructive.

It would be really nice if you write up your findings for other users to
learn from. At one point, it would make sense to have an informally
curated overview of what's available where.

While we are at it, let me just share one minor but enjoyable feature:
By default, the window manager shows the window borders while a window
is maximized. When using a VM in full screen, this is a waste of pixels.
Now, with the black-hole component, one can simply route the window
layouter's request for the "decorator margins" to the black hole,
prompting the layouter to position a maximized window such that the
window decor stays outside the visible area. I think that's is quite a
nice hack.