One Small Step For Genode...

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Tue May 10 02:23:24 CEST 2022

... one giant leap for a Genode enthusiast!  ( OK, I exaggerated - it's
not really a step for Genode at all, but it is a huge leap for me! ;^) )

After being extremely short of time for about a year, I finally used the
22.04 release to take my first steps toward using Genode as my daily
driver OS, mainly by using VirtualBox 6 to run my existing VMs under Sculpt.

I still have some problems to work out before I can make the official
transition, and I will probably have a fair number of "new user"
questions here soon, but I am highly impressed with the state of the
system.  In the beginning, I will probably continue to do most tasks
within the Linux VMs, but I am really looking forward to gradually
shifting applications to running directly on Genode as they (or native
alternatives) become available.

If any daily users have tips to share, I'll certainly be listening!  (If
I come up with anything helpful, I will try to write it up for Genodians
also.)  One thing I am very curious about is the state of the various
packages in the depots - some of those look very intriguing!

The bottom line: Thanks to the Genode devs and community members for
making this possible!

  Happy Sculpting!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com