x86 Sculpt Experience

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri May 6 17:03:10 CEST 2022

Hi Sagar,

thanks for giving Sculpt OS 22.04 a try!
Feedback is always much appreciated.

> 1. Mouse using my trackpad was very difficult to manage, it wasn't stable.

In the current version, we rely on the BIOS emulation of a PS/2 mouse.
This works reasonably well with Thinkpads but - depending on the BIOS -
can be flaky, especially on recent machines by other vendors.

We will probably need to add a proper touchpad driver down the road.

> 2. There's no shutdown button, poweroff button and no instructions> in documentation on how to do so. I had to use hardware based
shutdown> which definitely harms my hardware.

There are two aspects to it.

First, to maintain file-system consistency, our current file-system
component issues a sync every 10 seconds. So it is safe to turn off the
machine a few seconds after the last write operation.

Second, to trigger the powering-off in software, you will need the
ACPICA component, which you can find in alex-ab's depot. E.g., you may
give the battery applet a try. When deploying this component, you can
assign the 'system status' ROM to it, which corresponds to the file
/config/system. In the presence of ACPICA, you can change this file to

  <system state="poweroff"/>

...which prompts ACPICA to turn off the machine.