bringup on RK3399

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Fri Nov 6 12:55:40 CET 2020

Hello Michael,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 11:51:26PM +0100, Michael Grunditz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking on doing a super quick bringup of base-hw on RK3399 SoC.
> But obvisually not if someone already do this. So step forward if you
> do that!
>
> The SoC has a GIC500 , but   I think it can be used in compat mode. In
> my first RISC OS effort I simply used the cpu interface (ARM regs)..
> so I guess that could be done. really simple only a few instructions.

The GIC500 resp. GICv3 specification is already supported by
Genode/base-hw. The i.MX 8M SoC, we primarily used to support the
ARMv8a architecture until now, uses the very same interrupt controller
and a Cortex A53 CPU as well. So you might use that board-support as a
template.

> THe Boot cpu is A53.
>
> Is SoC timers used in Genode or is it ARM timers? It looks like that.

It depends on the SoC. A lot of ARM SoCs supported by Genode do not
provide the ARM generic timer, e.g. the Raspberry Pi 1-3.
But, whereever possible we use the generic timers, for instance
in the i.MX 8M SoC. So, again you might use it as a starting point.

> The purpose of bringup is:
>
> 1) I want to learn the craft
> 2) I need material to a online talk about bringing up SoCs , and I
> want to use something that is not pure assembler.

That is nice to hear. If you were successful, I would be glad is you
share your experiences with us.

Best regards
Stefan

> Cheers