A simple window manager

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Tue May 12 09:36:56 CEST 2020

Hello Paul,

your concept sounds pretty lean and also somewhat handy when thinking
about interfaces without precise input devices like mice and keyboards
(speak small touchscreens with clumsy fingers like mine). On the other
hand, such concepts cannot be evaluated without a demo. So, I'd
suggest you prototype your idea using a widget library of your choice.
I used Qt5 in the past, which is fairly easy to learn and does not
stand in the way. The prototype work can be done on any OS like Linux,
Genode, or even Windows with a fullscreen application and some mock
widgets. You may also use a browser-based prototyping environment,
which gives anybody the chance to easily test your proposal by loading
an URL...

When reading your proposal, I'd suggest you should thrive for
generalizing the tiling idea beyond 2 visible apps. My current desktop
screen is 2560x1080 which is 21.3:9 and I love to have 3 to 4 columns
in some work contexts. If the vertical tiling is also generalized, the
"sepcial" bars are just tiles any user may move to the region most
liked.

Greets
Christian