A simple window manager

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at zoho.com
Tue May 12 01:35:48 CEST 2020

I was thinking about an old idea, for a very simple screen manager...
and it is becoming even a bit more complete.
So I would like to share it with you... because I think it would be a
nice fit for Genode.

So at first I was thinking a very simple model...
-Almost all the screen for one application
-a bar at the bottom with:
-- one left button at the left
-- one right button at the right
-- a title in the middle (of the application)
Left, and right would navigate through the open applications

Then the idea that screens are large enough for two windows wide came to
my mind.
Second model (at first):
-Almost all the screen for one application
-a bar at the bottom with:
-- one left button at the left
-- one right button at the right
-- a title in the middle
-- a 1 button
-- a 2 button
-- a pin button
So like before, but the 1 button is activated at the beginning.

If you click the 2 button, the screen divide in 2 windows
So now you got:
-left button in bottom left
-right button in bottom right
-the left window for application 1
-- bottom-right title info for application 1
-- bottom-left1 the 1 2 buttons (2 is activated)
-- bottom-left2 the pin button
-the right window for application 2
-- bottom-left title info for application 2
-- bottom-right1 the 1 and 2 buttons (2 is activated)
-- bottom-right2 the pin button

So the idea, is that under each application you got:
-the pin button, that when activated, the application don't change when
doing right and left button
So if one of the side is pinned, right and left buttons affect only the
other side.
If none is pinned, pressing left (right goes to left, and right is
filled with next open application).
If none is pinned, pressing right (left goes to right, and left is
filled with previous open application).
(my guess is that if the right and the left applications are pinned, the
left and right buttons are deactivated)
- the 1 button, that return to the single application screen, with the
current application

And then, I realized we need the some more info...
So I would add a upper-bar with:
-a menu button for the applications to launch
-clock
-Quit button
-mixer button
-network button