Sculpt as a Community Experience (CE)

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Mar 19 12:09:23 CET 2019

Dear Genode community,

I am more than happy to announce the official release of the fourth
incarnation of Sculpt OS. The faint vision of our Genode-based
general-purpose OS - as laid out one and half years ago - has now become
real.

Some of you followed the story of Sculpt from the beginning. Initially
geared towards die-hard enthusiasts only, each revision became more and
more approachable. The previous version Sculpt VC already offered a
glimpse of Sculpt's unique user interface in the form of an interactive
component graph.

The just released Sculpt OS "as a community experience" (CE) combines
this tangible notion of component compositions with a new federated
software provisioning model that eliminates the need for middlemen like
app stores or distributions. With Sculpt CE, components can be offered
by a federation of independent software providers. The software
installation is sandboxed and protected by digital signatures. The
integration of components with the rest of the system is completely
under control of the user. With the principle of least privilege at the
heart of Sculpt's architecture, you - the user - can fearlessly install
and run software without ultimately trusting the software providers.

Sculpt CE is intended to work in tandem with our community blog
https://genodians.org where developers and users exchange experiences
and announce new software. The best way to watch how the Sculpt story
continues is the RSS feed of Genodians.org.

To dive right into Sculpt CE, you can download a ready-to-use disk image
here:

  https://genode.org/download/sculpt

Please also consider the new documentation, which received a major update:

  https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-ce
  https://genode.org/documentation/sculpt-ce.pdf (PDF version)

Have fun with Sculpt CE!