Sculpt as a Community Experience (CE)

Tomasz Gajewski tomga at wp.pl
Tue Mar 19 23:02:32 CET 2019

Norman Feske <norman.feske at genode-labs.com> writes:

> I am more than happy to announce the official release of the fourth
> incarnation of Sculpt OS. The faint vision of our Genode-based
> general-purpose OS - as laid out one and half years ago - has now
> become real.

Congratulations to all of you for that work. I think it is really a
moment when more people can get interested in this system.

I've started to prepare a working environment with Sculpt and I've
encountered some issues/wish items:

 1. I'd suggest to add clarification in section about making
    customizations permanent that to make a partition default for Sculpt
    partition table must be of GPT type and partition NAME must be set
    to GENODE* (using e.g. parted). Documentation doesn't mention
    partitioning scheme requirement and uses word "labeled" which points
    rather to labels written inside ext2/3/4 partitions (with tools
    tune2fs or e2label).

 2. Is it possible to switch between Inspect console and component graph
    without really closing a console? Currently to get back to component
    graph I have to disable Inspect and loose current working directory
    and history of commands.

 3. What would I need to tweak/implement to make keys with Alt (like
    Alt+F, Alt+B) to work in noux. If it is not easy then at least I'd
    like to know how to disable Ctrl+D (delete equivalent on linux) that
    currently causes bash to exit and loose commands history.

 4. When trying to install software I somehow managed to stop
    leitzentrale work. There was some information about memory quota but
    I lost it when I switched to wm and couldn't get back to
    leitzentrale. I'll try to provide more details if I can reproduce
    this.

> Have fun with Sculpt CE!

I'm having fun. Thasks.

Tomasz Gajewski