Genode build system

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at mail.ru
Mon Mar 18 23:07:44 CET 2019

Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi Valery,
>
> On 18.03.19 00:17, Valery V. Sedletski via users wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Does Genode build system only allow to build a binary or library
>> with each "target.mk" makefile? Is it possible to have non-binary
>> targets in these makefiles, or have more than one target?
>>
>> to target.mk. So, the map file should be a dependency of "all" target,
>> but this does not work, because "map" then is built before the binary
>> specified as
>>
>> TARGET = <binary_name>
>>
>> Does someone have any ideas, how it's possible to accomplish this?
> I'm afraid that your use case is currently not very well covered.
>
> So we should probably add a proper hook for it. In the meantime, could
> you give the following idea a try?
So, the targets other than binaries/libraries are not possible
currently? This is what I suspected. Indeed, having a hook for extra
custom targets executed before or after the main target would be a good
idea.
> -----
>
> ifneq ($(INSTALL_DIR),)
> all: map
> endif
>
> map: $(TARGET)
> 	nm $< | sed "s/some/magic" > $@
>
> -----
>
> The check for 'INSTALL_DIR' is needed because the target.mk file is
> actually visited twice during the build. First, it is examined to find
> out the inter-library dependencies. This dependency stage is followed by
> the actual build stage. The custom rule should be executed in the latter
> stage only. As INSTALL_DIR is defined only at the build stage, we can
> use it as a condition here.
>
> The dependency from $(TARGET) ensures that your binary exists before
> 'nm' is called on it.
>
> Cheers
> Norman

This worked fine. So, "map" target is indeed executed before $(TARGET),
as required. Thank you very much for the excellent idea about checking
INSTALL_DIR, this is what helped. (I noticed that the "all" target is
called twice, and this hurted things up. Now it is called only once, as
it should).

WBR,
valery