Issue with running 19.05 on RPi3 hardware

Daniel Gunzinger daniel.gunzinger at tum.de
Thu Jun 27 15:51:58 CEST 2019

Good afternoon everyone!

I am currently trying to run Genode in 64bit mode on a Raspberry Pi 3
Model B (V1.2),
therefore using the newest available Release (19.05) with the
accompanying tool-chain,
compiling it on a Ubuntu 18.04.2 machine.

The compilation process configured for the "rpi3" board with the "foc"
kernel completes
without any issues and the resulting elf binaries can also be executed
in QEMU (4.0.0),
completing the hello_tutorial with full output and no issues.

However when I try to use the same binary with the mentioned hardware
[0] the output
of the UART repeatably stops before the "Hello from Startup::stage2"
message, which
to me indicates that it can not successfully begin to execute the Kernel
as in QEMU.

Is this to be expected, related to the UART drivers, or am I missing
something in the
compilation/preparation process?

If there is any additional information needed please tell me.

[0]: using u-boot version 2019.07-rc4 for the rpi3, with
"enable_uart=1", "arm_64bit=1"
and the u-boot-nodtb.bin as a kernel in the config.txt;
then executing it
with "bootelf ${scriptaddr}"

Thank you in advance,
with best regards,