First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Pirmin Duss pirmin.duss at gapfruit.com
Fri Sep 7 08:25:29 CEST 2018

Hello Hinnerk

On 07.09.2018 00:19, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
> I made some progress on booting Genode on my XPS 15: adding you and Romans
> changes (to limit the resolution to 1920 width), I am able to boot it until I
> get a black screen and a usable cursor (at least after increasing the different
> RAM quotas).
> After that nothing really happens. I don't have easily access to a supported
> device so sadly I am unable to perform the necessary configurations for sculpt
> as a hardware-probing instrument.
> Do you have any hints on what I may tweak to get the boot continuing?
>
> WKR Hinnerk

What you could do is to expand the third partition of the USB-Stick with gparted on a Linux partition and then copy the
depot directory to the /depot on your stick. After this create a /config/18.08 directory on your USB-Stick. Then copy
the launcher sub directory from genode/repos/gems/sculpt/ to this config directory.
Then you need to create the file /config/18.08/deploy on the USB-Stick. Copy the content of the manual_deploy_config
variable in the file genode/repos/gems/run/sculpt.run in to this file, set x86_64 as the arch and enable the start node
for report_dump.

I used this method before, when I was in a location with no internet connection.

Best regards,
Pirmin