First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Fri Sep 7 00:36:06 CEST 2018

On 09/06/2018 06:19 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
> I made some progress on booting Genode on my XPS 15: adding you and Romans
> changes (to limit the resolution to 1920 width), I am able to boot it until I
> get a black screen and a usable cursor (at least after increasing the different
> RAM quotas).
> After that nothing really happens. I don't have easily access to a supported
> device so sadly I am unable to perform the necessary configurations for sculpt
> as a hardware-probing instrument.
> Do you have any hints on what I may tweak to get the boot continuing?

You can run Sculpt in VirtualBox, which should allow you to modify the
installation on the USB stick, to create the hardware-probing
instrument.  (I'm going to do this soon, myself.)

Quick note: Because of a bug in the 18.08 code, use the "PS/2 Mouse"
pointing device for the guest VM, instead of one of the USB pointing
devices.