First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 6 10:45:59 CEST 2018

Hi Roman,

thanks for the interesting experience report. I'm particularly delighted
about the success story of the report-dump mechanism!

> [4]
https://gist.github.com/rite/1e5602c9ed55a810fe9306475e3962c0#file-log-L501

From the data, I can immediately spot two problems:

* On your machine, both the AHCI and NVMe drivers are started within
  the [drivers -> dynamic] subsystem. This ultimately exhausts the RAM
  quota of this subsystem. Instead of the designated 8 MiB, the
  NVMe driver only receives the remaining 2 MiB. Hence, the first
  lifesign we see from the driver is the plea for more resources:

    [drivers -> dynamic -> nvme_drv] resource_request: ram_quota=4M,
cap_quota=0

  I suspect that the blocking NVMe driver is the reason sculpt could
  not reach the deploy stage (for executing the report-dump pkg).

* The RAM quota assigned to the intel_fb driver does not suffice for
  the allocation of the frame buffer for your big resolution. From
  the log (and from the drivers/dynamic/state), we can see that the
  driver requests an additional 11 MiB of RAM.

Both problems can be addressed by increasing the respective RAM quotas.

1. Increase the RAM quota of the drivers subsystem [1] from 66 MiB to,
   let's say, 100 MiB. This gives the drivers subsystem an additional
   34 MiB to work with, which should already resolve the NVMe issue.

2. Tweak the driver manager's quota assignment for the intel_fb driver,
   increasing the RAM quota by at least 12 MiB [2].

3. Make sure to integrate the tweaked version of the driver manager
   in a new Sculpt image, e.g., by adding the following line to the
   sculpt.run file [3] and specifying the 'driver_manager' as boot
   module.

     build { app/driver_manager }

     append boot_modules { driver_manager }

If these steps solve the issue for you, there is still the chance that
other components (like [leitzentrale -> nit_fader]) exceed their
assigned quotas. Please look out for resource requests in the log.

The current quota assignments are quite conservative to facilitate the
test-driving Sculpt in Qemu. Once you succeeded in bringing up the
system, I'd appreciate you sharing your quota assignments so we can
adjust Sculpt accordingly (within reasonable bounds).

[1]
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/gems/run/sculpt.run#L234
[2]
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/gems/src/app/driver_manager/main.cc#L129