First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Johannes Kliemann kliemann at componolit.com
Thu Oct 11 15:35:07 CEST 2018

Hi Roman,

> The usb_hid run scenario doesn't get stuck when booting in non-UEFI
> mode. I'm using the very convenient vga_log_drv (thanks to Johannes
> Kliemann!) the get an impression of the liveliness of the system - for
> reference see [1] and [2].

I'm happy someone benefits from my work :)
Just some notes, I've seen you already fixed the broken include path I thought
I fixed it already but apparently I didn't seem to have pushed it.
Aside from that I was planning to unify my current feature branches into my
genode-trabant/master and to adapt the code to the current state of the Ada
runtime available in Genode (I didn't touch this driver for some time so I
have to update myself about its current state).
Furthermore I plan to document it a little more in this process.

I also found that with the current genode/master Nova seems to boot-loop when
the debug commit is applied. I opened an issue [1] about this, but it seems
that it still works with your version of 18.08.

> Out of curiosity I also tried to boot Sculpt in non-UEFI mode. The
> system doesn't freeze when pressing FN+F11/F12 but the display
> brightness decreases/increases instead.
>
> So I guess the next step is to boot in UEFI mode with VGA log output
> enabled and setup the nova spinner?

Afaik the vga_log_drv is not available on UEFI since the Multiboot2
framebuffer info is filled with UEFIs UGA/GOP framebuffer. You'd need to use
the boot_fb with a terminal log then.

Regards,
Johannes

[1]: https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/3013