First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Fri Oct 12 09:10:33 CEST 2018

On 11.10.2018 14:59, Roman Iten wrote:
> On 10/10/18 11:11 AM, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
>> I suspect your embedded controller together with ACPI irq handling, but
>> it is just guessing.
>
> The freeze occurs on the XPS 13 9350 but not on the newer model 9370.
> And now that I know how to avoid the problem, it isn't a very pressing
> issue for me anymore. But if you suspect other devices might have a
> similar problem, I'm in for helping investigate.

Well, without any debug output... If you manage to provide it, we may
continue - otherwise I would spend my/your time more gainful.

>> I presume you don't have serial output available?
>
> No, unfortunately I haven't.
>
>> May you please try some simple (non graphical) run scenario (usb_hid).
>> If this also already get stuck when you press your keys, can you please
>> setup the nova spinner setup for the nova kernel, see [0]. You will have
>> to boot in non-UEFI mode (either USB or if not working try via PXE).
>
> The usb_hid run scenario doesn't get stuck when booting in non-UEFI
> mode. I'm using the very convenient vga_log_drv (thanks to Johannes
> Kliemann!) the get an impression of the liveliness of the system - for
> reference see [1] and [2].

I hoped you can reproduce it without UEFI - well in this case I have no
good suggestions.

> Out of curiosity I also tried to boot Sculpt in non-UEFI mode. The
> system doesn't freeze when pressing FN+F11/F12 but the display
> brightness decreases/increases instead.
>
> So I guess the next step is to boot in UEFI mode with VGA log output
> enabled and setup the nova spinner?

AFAIK, there is no support for VGA text console by UEFI booted systems,
so probably this is a dead end.

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com - https://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden