remaining issues

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Sun May 6 15:01:15 CEST 2018

Hello Ben,

On 04.05.2018 22:50, Nobody III via users wrote:
> There are some remaining issues that should be fixed before the 18.05
> release, but aren't receiving much attention:

I disagree. Frankly, both the content and tone of your posting bother
me. In fact, none of the issues you cited is even remotely critical for
the release of version 18.05. Your statement lacks any reference to the
road map [1].

The issues are a rather a personal wish list of your's. It is perfectly
fine that you express your wishes in the issue tracker. But it is rude
to expect others to cater you.

I am afraid that your self image is unrealistic, and I am not sure how
to handle it. In statements like "we have recently finished a release"
[2] or "should be fixed before the 18.05", you assert a position that
you don't have. The former pretends that you were somehow involved in
the release process, which is not true. The latter wrongly suggests that
you have the authority to tell others what to do.

You are overreaching to a point that harms your credibility.

> All of these should be fairly easy fixes, and at least 2 already have
> patches that just need to be merged.

I don't share your notion of "fairly easy" and "just". Unless a patch
considers the adaptation and testing of all affected components, it
remains a faint suggestion at best. Even if taken as a suggestion, the
value of a patch like [3] is questionable. While being trivial, it
directly contradicts the plan I expressed in [4], and ignores the
concerns given in the very same posting.

Please accept that others don't share your sense of urgency. Pushing
your pet issues via a mailing-list posting is not constructive.

[1] https://genode.org/about/road-map
[2] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2018-March/005978.html
[3]
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/6940b28dc5e4167b21b8003d36705eab0d7b73d5