Defence of "Microkernelization of Linux"

Johannes Kliemann kliemann at ...543...
Wed May 9 11:26:48 CEST 2018

Hi Genode folks,

since the Information in my last email was a bit scarce here is a short
follow up to my defence.

My thesis is based on the Microkernelizing Linux challenge of Genodes
challenges [1].

> Thanks to Genode's generic interfaces for I/O access as provided by core, all Genode device drivers including drivers ported from Linux and gPXE can be executed as user-level components on all supported microkernels. However, so far, we have not enabled the use of these device drivers on Linux as base platform. The goal of this project is the systematic replacement of in-kernel Linux device drivers by Genode processes running in user space, effectively reducing the Linux kernel to a runtime for Genode's core process. But moving drivers to Genode processes is just the beginning. By employing further Genode functionality such as its native GUI, lwIP, and Noux, many protocol stacks can effectively be removed from the Linux kernel.
>
> The goal of this project is to evaluate how small the Linux kernel can get when used as a microkernel.

I will present the the implemented concepts for native Genode drivers on
Linux and a demo running on base-linux with a stripped down Linux kernel
using the native fb_boot_drv and ps2_drv.

Location: Andreas-Pfitzmann-Bau, Nöthnitzer Str. 46
01187 Dresden, Germany; Room 3105

Time: Monday, May 14, 2018 at 11:00 a.m

Regards,
Johannes Kliemann