Failure of Genode Demo

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Mon Jun 4 09:40:52 CEST 2018

Hello Konstantin,

welcome to the list.

On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 02:42:53PM +0000, zabarnyi at campus.technion.ac.il wrote:
> This is my first experience with Genode. I am trying to run a demo
> for Genode 17.05 (with toolchain 17.05, 64 bits), on an Oracle VM
> VirtualBox (5.2.10-122406) virtual machine, with Linux Ubuntu
> 16.04.4 (64 bits) OS. I am following the guide on
> https://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/getting_started
> and I have already installed all the packages mentioned in this
> guide.

This version is one year old and many things happened since then in
Genode (and also in Ubuntu).

> cd build/x86_64
> make KERNEL=linux run/demo
>

> the build of Genode succeeds, but the demo fails with the following error message:
>

> genode build completed
>
> using 'core-linux' as 'core'
>
> using 'ld-linux.lib.so' as 'ld.lib.so'
>
> using 'linux_timer_drv' as 'timer'
>
> spawn ./core
>
> Genode 17.05
>
> 17592186044415 MiB RAM and 8998 caps assigned to init
>
> Warning: blocking canceled in entrypoint constructor

This issue was fixed in September [1] and was caused by a change in
the Linux kernel (introduced by an Ubuntu update) that broke our
heuristics. I suggest you update to Genode 18.05.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/2521

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/