make fun: optimize depot/create by using depot/download

Roman Iten roman.iten at gapfruit.com
Fri Jul 6 09:59:50 CEST 2018

Hello,

Merely as an experiment to avoid building already published/uploaded
archives, I tried to integrate depot/download into the depot/create
front-end. Having basically zero make experience, I came up with [1].

If the environment variable DOWNLOAD is set, it 'seems' to do what I intend:

- extract API/source/raw archives (make sure we use the correct version)

- download as many archives as possible (best-effort)

- build everything else, that couldn't be downloaded

Still I have some questions:

- Can you think of any (corner) cases which would result in an
incomplete/inconsistent build regarding the content of the working
directory?

- How can I deal with the following warning (when calling depot/download):

  make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add '+' to
  parent make rule.

- Is there a simple way to prevent the ugly log output as it may contain
(expected) error messages like:

  Error: failed to download 'https://...'
  make[2]: Target '...' not remade because of errors.

- Anything else I didn't consider?

Comments are highly appreciated, thanks!

Roman

[1]
https://github.com/rite/genode/commit/1b50ac73dc3b4986c1df1694b88ecc49757d057f