Fullscreen VM in sculpt

Pirmin Duss pirmin.duss at gapfruit.com
Thu Jul 5 13:30:52 CEST 2018

Hi Norman

On 05.07.2018 12:44, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi Pirmin,
>
> On 03.07.2018 08:15, Pirmin Duss wrote:
>> I would like to use my virtual machine in fullscreen mode on my sculpt. If I'm interpreting the configuration of the
>> floating_window_layouter correctly, the key combination [SCREEN]+[ENTER] will toggle the fullscreen mode of a window.
>>
>> Further there is a normally disabled configuration in /config/input_fliter that remaps the key [LEFTMETA] to [SCREEN].
>> However when I enable the remapping and start the wm and the virtual machine, pressing [LEFTMETA] and [ENTER] as
>> described in the sequence of the layouter.config nothing happens.
>>
>> Do I need to change something else?
>
> by default, Sculpt is configured such that all key combinations
> involving the 'SCREEN' key to the window layouter. In
> config/input_filter, 'LEFTMETA' (windows key) is mapped to 'SCREEN' by
> default. In contrast to your observation, it is not disabled. Do you
> happen to use a stale input_filter configuration?

Yes, now I remember. I disabled this as otherwise the LEFTMEAT key wasn't working inside the VM.

> Does [LEFTMETA]+[TAB] works for cycling through multiple windows? If
> yes, then the input filter and window layouter are configured correctly.
> This should be the case by default.

This works, the color of the title bar changes slightly.

> The VM's response to maximize events (as triggered by [LEFTMETA]+[ENTER]
> or by the maximize button at the top-left window corner) is a bit of a
> hit-or-miss, unfortunately. The screen-size change is handled the VBox
> guest additions. So it does only work when those are installed and
> running. Even if so, it sometimes takes quite a long time for the screen
> change to take effect. The delay needs further investigation. But apart
> from this, it should work in principle.

Now letting the VM "rest" after pressing maximize for a long time the machine switched to full screen mode.
So switching fullscreen works (as usual I was not patient enough with the computer ;-) ).

Would it be faster to set the size of the nit_fb from outside (kind of like it is done when the window is resized)?

Best regards,
Pirmin