Roadmap 2017

Dr. Florian Manfred Grätz florian.graetz at ...473...
Thu Jan 12 07:54:34 CET 2017

Dear community,

I am very excited about the entire Genode project and looking forward to
the upcoming releases. Please keep up the quaterly release cycle. Let me
share my thoughts on several issues, which have already been communicated:

  * From a newbee's point of view I would say, that you guys are heading
    into the right direction: I understand the core component to be a
    kernel abstraction layer. Therfore ABI stability of the core would
    be awsome - no matter what the kernel is, you could use the same
    binaries (as long as you are running on the same processor, of
    course) for drivers and applications. That would be a prerequiste
    for a working packaging system.
  * The build process indeed needs a little make-over. I have noticed
    side effects with the ports, which are hard to describe in detail,
    as I have not yet fully understood them. Generally speaking the
    ports (including the drivers) should be built separately from the
    kernel/core/init. Once again - a stable ABI would help. No matter
    what the kernel is, you would use the same binaries for the
    drivers/applications.
  * A dynamic init component would greatly help, too: reconfigure your
    system, don't rebuild it. This would also enhance the turmvilla
    scenario.

Let me also add an idea of mine: for your turmvilla scenaria it might
help to provide .iso images with a running system (e.g. using
grub-mkrescue) and make them accessible for download. You would then use
dd to copy the image on a USB pendrive or an SD card and reboot your
computer from this external storage device without installing it on your
internal hard drive. You could also use this mechanism to install the
system on your internal hard drive, if you have the capability to
dynamicly resize your partitions, but you wouldn't have to. The way I
see it, a dynamic init component would be a prerequisite.

To say it with the words of Karl Valentin: everything has been said -
just not by everyone.

All the best, Florian.