Roadmap 2017

Peter Lindener lindener.peter at ...9...
Thu Jan 12 21:07:05 CET 2017

Dear
     Genodians-

     I spent some time catching up on the state of CHERI project
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/ctsrd/cheri/>..
for the detailed read see:  Capability Hardware Enhanced RISC Instructions:
CHERI Instruction-Set Architecture (Version 5)
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-891.pdf>...

    I sense, that the longer term of CHERI's capability oriented hardware
development will likely unfold in conjunction with the RiscV and / or
LowRisc project's developments..

    as the Genode team is already embracing future of running on the RiscV
open ISA...   and Genode is also a capability based OS...   it would be
great if Genode started tracking / contributing to the Capability bit
field's under development within the CHERI project...

   I'm not sure how similar the current Genode and CHERI capability models
are,
... what kind of ajustments each might want to make in order to accomidate
the needs / inovations of the other
   I would certainly enjoy reading any reflections in this regard..

    -Peter