Problem with make run/demo & run/hellofor fiasco.oc based build

Shahbaz khan shazalive at ...9...
Wed Apr 5 22:35:17 CEST 2017

Thanks for your prompt reply.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Christian Helmuth <
christian.helmuth at ...1...> wrote:

> Hello Shahbaz Khan,
>
> welcome to the list

My pleasure.

> .
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 11:54:47AM +0500, Shahbaz khan wrote:
> > I have started working with Genode, while I am interested in foc based
> > development and it seems the Genode efforts also prefer foc as I have
> been
> > trying run/demo for builds.
>
> I would not go along with telling that we "prefer" base-foc as most of
> our scenarios run on all supported kernels. Prominent exceptions are
> support for hardware virtualization (only on NOVA and hw/Muen) and
> TrustZone (hw only). If you address ARM and x86 alike I'd suggest you
> try out base-hw.

I will look into it.

I am interested in Fiasco.OC with Trustzone. I do not prefer pure
hypervisor approach i.e. Nova and haven't had a look at Muen. I will like
have something like a 'rehosted L4Linux or virtualized Linux' with rest of
the stack on something like L4Re, which I believe is the case with foc.

> > I am facing a few problems. Some that makes sense as a developer, while
> > some are new to me and definitely need some hints to move forward. I have
> > encountered the following errors:
> >
> > x86_64 (run/demo & run/hello):- Error: target 'core' does not exist.
> >        I was not able to figure out how to enable build core but it
> should
> > have been there by default like other Genode builds.
>
> This originates from a recent change in our framework regarding
> unifies build directories for all base platforms of a selected
> architectur. When running scenarios via "make run/<script>" you now
> have to select the kernel by setting the KERNEL option like follows.
>
>   make run/demo KERNEL=hw
>
> Please refer to
>
>   https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/17.02#Unified_build_
> directories
>
> for further information.

Got it.

> > pba9 (run/demo):-
> > The mouse pointer does not work.
>
> This is indeed strange. The nitpicker mouse pointer always works for
> me, but I had one test (in 10) were I could not interact with the
> scout window. Could you please run the scenario several times? Please
> test by clicking the Qemu window and moving the mouse afterwards. Do
> The scout buttons (e.g., forward/backward) change color when the mouse
> pointer hovers them?

Yes. This is the exact behavior that I experienced all the three times I
tried. I will give it a try. Nothing serious for me at least at this time.

> > pba9 (run/hello):- [init] Error: Uncaught exception of type
> > 'Genode::Parent::Service_denied'
> >
> > linux (run/hello):- [init] Error: Uncaught exception of type
> > 'Genode::Parent::Service_denied'
> >
> > Does the uncaught exception mean that the capability list is not
> configured
> > properly? I am onto figuring out the build issue of core till your
> replies.
>
> These errors were addressed by a recent commit
>
>   https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/
> f6386c6ce197185df73d00a63c97d01070754fba
>
> By cherry-picking the commit or applying the patch manually the
> exceptions should vanish.

ok.

> Please note that the current version of the Genode Foundation book
> reflects the development state of Genode 16.05. We plan to publish
> updates yearly and the next revision will be 17.05.

Got it. Will follow up. Need to get used to semantics of capability lists.

> Regards
> --
> Christian Helmuth
> Genode Labs