Problem with make run/demo & run/hellofor fiasco.oc based build

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Wed Apr 5 11:36:34 CEST 2017

Hello Shahbaz Khan,

welcome to the list.

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 11:54:47AM +0500, Shahbaz khan wrote:
> I have started working with Genode, while I am interested in foc based
> development and it seems the Genode efforts also prefer foc as I have been
> trying run/demo for builds.

I would not go along with telling that we "prefer" base-foc as most of
our scenarios run on all supported kernels. Prominent exceptions are
support for hardware virtualization (only on NOVA and hw/Muen) and
TrustZone (hw only). If you address ARM and x86 alike I'd suggest you
try out base-hw.

> I am facing a few problems. Some that makes sense as a developer, while
> some are new to me and definitely need some hints to move forward. I have
> encountered the following errors:
>
> x86_64 (run/demo & run/hello):- Error: target 'core' does not exist.
>        I was not able to figure out how to enable build core but it should
> have been there by default like other Genode builds.

This originates from a recent change in our framework regarding
unifies build directories for all base platforms of a selected
architectur. When running scenarios via "make run/<script>" you now
have to select the kernel by setting the KERNEL option like follows.

  make run/demo KERNEL=hw

Please refer to

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/17.02#Unified_build_directories

for further information.

> pba9 (run/demo):-
> The mouse pointer does not work.

This is indeed strange. The nitpicker mouse pointer always works for
me, but I had one test (in 10) were I could not interact with the
scout window. Could you please run the scenario several times? Please
test by clicking the Qemu window and moving the mouse afterwards. Do
The scout buttons (e.g., forward/backward) change color when the mouse
pointer hovers them?

> pba9 (run/hello):- [init] Error: Uncaught exception of type
> 'Genode::Parent::Service_denied'
>
> linux (run/hello):- [init] Error: Uncaught exception of type
> 'Genode::Parent::Service_denied'
>
> Does the uncaught exception mean that the capability list is not configured
> properly? I am onto figuring out the build issue of core till your replies.

These errors were addressed by a recent commit

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/f6386c6ce197185df73d00a63c97d01070754fba

By cherry-picking the commit or applying the patch manually the
exceptions should vanish.

Please note that the current version of the Genode Foundation book
reflects the development state of Genode 16.05. We plan to publish
updates yearly and the next revision will be 17.05.

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/