Golang on Genode

Emery Hemingway emery at ...261...
Wed Mar 30 00:26:58 CEST 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 08:45:39PM +0000, Petar Stupar wrote:
> 2. Is there any reason why Golang wouldn't be a good choice as a language
> on top of Genode? Although this seems to me as a very intuitive combination
> perhaps there are concept/security issues I might have overlooked.

As someone who has written a fair amount of Go and is familiar with
some of the Genode interfaces I would say that it could be a quite alot
of work to bring enough of the Go standard library into working order.
I think it would require generating C bindings to Genode and then Go
bindings those (keep in mind Go doesn't have macros). For things like
files and network you could use the libc, but then there would be an
abstraction layer on both the Genode side and the Go sides of libc.

That said I would be happy if Go worked, but to me it would be too much
effort to port enough of the standard library to make Genode a viable
platform for a lot of existing Go programs. I came to Go from Plan 9
and think it would hard to leverage the flexibilty of Genode with a
language so strongly influenced by unix.

Good luck,
Emery