build instructions from release notes for toolchain riscv fail (in my case)

Menno Valkema menno.genode at ...9...
Thu Mar 3 15:13:09 CET 2016

Hi Everyone,

While playing around with the new riscv support, I followed the
instructions in the release notes in order to build a riscv toolchain
from scratch. (See section 'Steps to test Genode on RISC-V', url
http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/16.02).

Step 2 involves Building Genode and a test scenario. After cloning
https://github.com/ssumpf/genode.git I ran:

$ ./tool/tool_chain riscv

This fails immediately, and it seems the riscv argument is not supported
in this version. The following error is given:

make: *** No rule to make target `riscv'.  Stop.

When I try the same thing with the repository from the Genodelabs github
(https://github.com/genodelabs/genode.git) this argument is supported
and a build starts.

Same goes for the next step:

$ ./tool/create_builddir hw_risc

This only succeeds with the repository from genodelabs. Otherwise it
gives the error:

make: *** No rule to make target `<removed full
path>/tool/builddir/etc/build.conf.hw_risc', needed by `<removed> full
path/build/hw_risc/etc/build.conf'.  Stop.

To me it seems some url's might have been mixed up while writing the
release notes. Or after writing the releasenotes were published the
repositories have somehow been modified.

In any case, if you run into the same issues, you might want to clone
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode.git instead of the git repo given
in the release notes.

Regards, Menno