Questions about the Nic_bridge and VirtualBox bug

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Wed Jun 15 12:30:38 CEST 2016

Hello Charles,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:22:01AM +0200, Charles HH wrote:
> The patch worked. The options are now parsed correctly.

Great.

> I still have a problem with the DHCP server sending the Offer to the VM mac
> address (taken from the DHCP options I would assume) instead of to the
> bridge. I think that's quite an unusual behavior for a DHCP server though,
> so I don't think it deserves particular attention...

This may result from the simplicity of our current bridge
implementation. It may be better to implement DHCP relaying

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol#DHCP_relaying

to force the DHCP server to send an unicast reply to the bridge MAC
address. Also, it may be the case that our implementation misses one
picky detail when constructing the DHCP request packet.

Christian Helmuth