Running Heeselicht scenario on qemu

Parfait Tokponnon parfait.tokponnon at ...9...
Thu Jul 28 12:27:00 CEST 2016

Hello Stefan,

Le 27 juil. 2016 08:10, "Stefan Kalkowski" <stefan.kalkowski at ...1...>
a écrit :

> Hello Parfait,
>
> On 07/26/2016 01:07 PM, Parfait Tokponnon wrote:
> > Hello everybody;
> > I has been fed up with restarting my computer after every compilation
> > so, I have decided to try running the Heeselicht scenarion on qemu
> > (not very wise but just to speed the development process).
> > But I got some errors concerning  acpi table parsing, resulting in the
> > intel framebuffer not well detected.
> > So because I am very poor in qemu mastering, may someone tell me
> > whether it would take a lot of work to port the heeselicht scenario on
> > qemu? Or join me on doing this?
> > Any help is welcome (Here is the log file for those who are interested)
> >

> I can understand that rebooting after every change is frustrating, but
> at least if you do not touch components that are started during the
> first boot stage, it is enough to copy them to the USB stick (e.g. from
> the guest OS via shared folders). Everything that is started dynamically
> by the cli_monitor is read on demand from the USB sticks filesystem.
>
> What I am doing reside essentially in the kernel. Basically, I am trying
to introduce support for user-space thread redundancy (to achieve fault
tolerance against transient error) in the kernel and analyzing the latency
induced in the whole system as complete OS. So i really need to restart the
machine.

> Anyway, trying to run the Heeselicht scenario within QEMU in my eye
> indeed is not recommendable. All the driver configuration is different
> (no WIFI, other graphics card), using hardware-assisted virtualization
> within QEMU is *slow* and not actively used by us - with other words not
> tested. In the end you have to change different drivers within your
> configuration, with the result of a different setup. So you won't test
> whast is not working on your hardware, but what is not working in tour
> QEMU setup ;-).

Good to know it. Ok, thanks