Reference PC hardware (was: Roadmap 2016)

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Tue Jan 19 10:28:43 CET 2016

Hello Peter,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:05:15PM -0800, Peter Lindener wrote:
> I'm a little frustrated that the  Lenovo Thinkpad x250 only haas one
> DIM slot, and is thus limited to 8Gb of ram...   not all so good if
> one is apt to be compiling FPGA code..

You're right with the single DIMM slot, but it can be configured with
one DIMM of 16 GiB like I did for the notebook on my desk:

     *-memory
          physical id: 8
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 16GiB
        *-bank
             product: 16KTF2G64HZ-1G6A1
             vendor: Micron
             physical id: 0
             serial: 17538116
             slot: ChannelA-DIMM0
             size: 16GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 1600MHz (0.6ns)

So, the x250 could still fit your requirements.

> It seems the X260 would fill the bill, but it wont be available until
> approx Feb 2016..
>
>    Is running Genode on a x260 likely to much of an issue with respect to
> I/O drver code and the like ?

I do not have information about the hardware the x260 will bring but
you may expect standard peripherals (e.g., AHCI and
keyboard/trackpoint) to work after some tweaking while the Intel
graphics driver and audio will potentially need more effort. I suggest
you to stick to the x250 for now except you're willing to potentially
spend significant effort to enable the more stubborn devices.

Christian Helmuth