(New to Genode) A couple of questions ...

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sat Dec 3 11:43:26 CET 2016

Hi Jerry,

welcome to the mailing list and thanks for giving Genode a try!

> including /home/jevans/src/genode/repos/ports/run/netperf_lxip.run
>
> Netperf running on Qemu is not recommended.
>
> make: Leaving directory '/home/jevans/src/genode/build.nova'
>
> and no build outputs whatsoever. Any thoughts on this?

this message is an assertion that we put in to prevent our automated
tests to exercise the netperf benchmarks on Qemu (we execute those on
real hardware only). However, you can manually override this assertion.
Please have a look at 'ports/run/netperf.inc', which is implicitly used
by the 'netperf_lxip.run' script you executed. Right at the beginning of
the file, it states:

  # setting environment variable FORCE_QEMU permits running netperf in qemu

Could you give it a try?

> And the VM then locks before the
>
> 'NOVA Microhypervisor v7-4d6f04d (x86_64): Dec  2 2016 17:01:35 [gcc 4.9.2]'
> banner appears.

Unfortunately, I am unable to help out since I am unfamiliar with
VMware. Just out of curiosity, have you tried booting any of the other
kernels (e.g., hw_x86_64, sel4_x86_32) in VMware?