running Virtualbox on Genode

Vincent Digital vdigital3800 at ...9...
Thu Sep 10 05:38:06 CEST 2015

Hi, Alex,

I've used your USB_RUN script to create an image file.
I followed your instructions to prepare the USB stick. However, the USB
stick cannot boot up.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to a laptop with serial port so I am
unable to get any logs.
Can I check with you on your instructions (the mini-howto below) instead.
Thanks.

# Short mini howto for nova_x86_64:
# - assumption - /dev/sdc is your USB stick
# - assumption - you are in the genode source root directory
# - assumption - you have prepared all external ports
# - assumption - you have build the rump tools -> tool/tool_chain_rump
#
# create a nova_x86_64 build directory
# - tool/create_builddir nova_x86_64
#
# Put/symlink your Windows 7 vdi to build/nova_x86_64/win7.vdi
#
# Set RUN_OPT in your build.conf to: RUN_OPT = --include image/disk
#
# Build everything:
# - make -C build/nova_x86_64 run/vbox_usb
#
# Make sure that the USB is not used - all partitions are un-mounted.
>> How should I prepare this USB stick, should it be formatted under a
particular filesystem (ext2, or FAT32)
>> I have tried various ways - delete everything including partitions, etc.
and then create a new partition
>> Can I clarify the steps below are in sequential order
>> 1. dd operation
>> 2. fdisk operation  - delete all partitions, then create a new partition
and then write to disk.
>> 3. Resizefs operation
>> 4. Mount partiton (I tried this but could not get a successful mount
until I create a filesystem using mke2fs. Is this step necessary ?)

# Copy disk image to your USB stick:
# - sudo dd if=build/nova_x86_64/var/run/vbox_usb.img of=/dev/sdc
#
# Make sure that the USB partition of the stick is un-mounted.
#
# Resize USB stick partition to maximum:
# - sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
# -- delete partition ('d')
# -- create partition - ('p')
# -- write table to disk and exit ('w')
#
# - sudo resize2fs -p /dev/sdc1
#
# Mount Genode partition on USB stick and copy your Windows image to the USB
# stick:
#
# - sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/genode
# - cp build/nova_x86_64/win7.vdi /media/genode/.
# - mkdir /media/genode/ram
# - cp build/nova_x86_64/bin/overlay_win7.vdi /media/genode/ram/.
# - umount /media/genode
#
# Boot your USB stick. For debugging get the serial output of the test
machine.
#