running Virtualbox on Genode

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Thu Sep 10 09:42:23 CEST 2015

Hello Vincent,

On 10.09.2015 05:38, Vincent Digital wrote:
> Hi, Alex,
>
> I've used your USB_RUN script to create an image file.
> I followed your instructions to prepare the USB stick. However, the USB
> stick cannot boot up.
> Unfortunately, I do not have access to a laptop with serial port so I am
> unable to get any logs.
> Can I check with you on your instructions (the mini-howto below) instead.
> Thanks.
> #
> # Make sure that the USB is not used - all partitions are un-mounted.
>>> How should I prepare this USB stick, should it be formatted under a
> particular filesystem (ext2, or FAT32)

No preparation. The image you copy with dd already contains a valid mbr
+ ext2 partition. So after the dd command, you should be able already to
mount the ext2 partition. If this does not work - something is already
odd - so make sure that mounting it already succeeds ! (Let's call it
step 0).

>>> Can I clarify the steps below are in sequential order
>>> 1. dd operation

Yes

>>> 2. fdisk operation  - delete all partitions, then create a new partition
> and then write to disk.

There should be exactly one partition to delete.

>>> 3. Resizefs operation

Yes

>>> 4. Mount partiton (I tried this but could not get a successful mount
> until I create a filesystem using mke2fs. Is this step necessary ?)

The first 3 steps are ok. If the 4. step does not succeed something
failed during re-partition and ext2 resize of the ext2 partition.
Effectively you should see on the ext2 partition the very same content
as after Step 0 (dd). The main goal of step 2-3 is to expand the ext2
partition over the whole USB stick - otherwise there is not enough place
for the VM image.

Cheers,

Alex