Genode/NOVA+Multiple VMMs Seoul / VBox

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Mon Sep 7 12:56:48 CEST 2015

Hello Roger,

On 06.09.2015 20:21, Roger Ferreira wrote:

> In the multiboot scheme, I tried to replace the bzImage with the newer TinyCore 6.3 vmlinuz together with the initrd core.gz.
> But that didn´t work.

On Qemu it doesn't work for me either. Natively (Intel Core i5, Lenovo
X201) it does - at least Tinycore 6.3. boots up into a shell from where
I can access the network. So, I just downloaded
http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/release/Core-6.3.iso and copied out the
vmlinuz and core.gz and used it together with 'munich'.

> I create a raw disk using qemu-img, than I use dd to format it from a iso.
> But now I don´t know how to configure that in the run script.
> I tried in the <multiboot> section without success.

I extended my branch and added to the setup a Seoul VM configuration,
which boots from a raw disc image. I had no success with Tinycore,
however some Genode scenarios booted natively (not in Qemu!). E.g. I
build Genode/Fiasco run/printf and used this hybrid iso/usb image
unmodified as raw disc with the Seoul VMM.

In the Genode cli_monitor shell you now may also use "start seoul-img"
beside "start seoul".

> Any hint? How to find documentation regarding that?

Not I'm aware of. For configuration of the Seoul VMM you may have a look
into the files located in contrib/seoul-<hash>/src/app/seoul/model/*. At
the end of all the models there is a short description how to configure
the models - parameters etc. For the Genode port of Seoul we translate
it in repos/ports/src/app/seoul/device_model_registry.cc to xml syntax,
which you finally can add to the <config> node of the Genode Seoul
process. This is done, e.g., in seoul.inc which generates the Genode
configuration for Seoul and stores it as vm_seoul.cfg in your build
directory.

For repos/gems/run/seoul-wm-cli.run the Seoul VM configurations are
fixed and created in rom_fs inlined - to make it hopefully easier to
read/grasp by a user.

Hope it clarifies a bit,

Alex.