seL4: does X server require Linux; hardware for VMs

John Lee jjl at ...348...
Thu Sep 3 14:58:17 CEST 2015

Hi

I'd like to try running Genode on seL4.  I wasn't expecting this to get
into a release this soon so I'm very pleased to see it.

Two questions, one re software, one re hardware:

Software: For applications like firefox I read that it's currently
necessary to run an X server.  Does that X instance (and firefox) need to
run on a Linux VM?

Hardware: I read on the seL4 FAQ that to "run Linux on top of SeL4", I
need:

1. Intel VT-x with EPT (standard by now I guess?)
2. an HPET [1] that supports MSI delivery [2]

Re 2.: is all this integrated in Haswell processors?  If yes, does Haswell
support this?  If no, does anybody know how to verify a motherboard
supports it?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Signaled_Interrupts

John