exploring Mesa in Genode

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Sep 23 09:08:43 CEST 2015

Hi Jamey,

>> Btw, in the meantime, I have started to work on porting the Intel KMS
>> driver from Linux 3.14.5 to Genode. The code in Linux' drm/i915/ changed
>> substantially since my original GPU experiments. So I am building a
>> fresh driver environment for the new version rather than attempting to
>> update the five-year-old driver. However, right now, I am focusing on
>> the video-mode-setting side of things, not the GPU.
>
> Cool! What's your timeline for that work? I'm going to be at the X.Org
> Developers' Conference, September 16th-18th, and would like to give an
> informal presentation on the state of graphics drivers in Genode. If
> you have stuff I can show off for you by then, I'd be delighted to.

thanks for spreading the word! :-)

  http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GPU-Microkernel-Support

BTW, you can find my current line of i915-related work on the following
branch:

  https://github.com/nfeske/genode/commits/intel_kms

Even though I got most of the driver to compile and the basic
initializations (like detecting the device revision, obtaining I/O
resources etc.) are done, there is still significant work to do. Right
now, the driver manages to switch off the panel of my test machine and
tries to squeeze some EDID information out of the panel, yay!

At present, Stefan has taken over the torch while I am busy with other
work. If you are curious, you may give the current state a try (via the
dde_linux/run/intel_fb.run script), or even lend a helping hand. But be
cautioned: It is very rough around the edges.