Best referance hardware at this point ?

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Mon Nov 9 09:04:47 CET 2015

Hello Peter,

>     Is a Lenovo Thinkpad x201 is still the best hardware platform for
> syncing up with other's who are working with Turmvilla
> <https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/1552> ?   or is there
> something more modern that leading edge Genodians are working hard to
> make into there prefured day to day use Genode platform ?

I'd still recommend the x201 because this is what I am using. Anyway, we
started using other machines as well. I.e., the x250 is a good choice.
We just started to regularly test Genode on this hardware. When
purchasing, please make sure that the machine has AMT (for
serial-over-network support). Otherwise, you may not be able to obtain
low-level LOG data for troubleshooting.

>     In the longer run... I am intrested in running the Gneode OS on
> Snickerdoodle
> <http://makezine.com/2015/10/12/snickerdoodle-dev-board-fpga-arm-processor/> (Dual
> Core ARM_A9 as well as the Mips Creator Ci40
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/20/imagination_technologies_creator_ci40/> ..
> It would be great if we might be able to deliver Genode to run on these
> boards via the Snappy package update manager
> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/more-stable-future-ubuntu>....
>
>    any thoughts on this? am I dreaming in the right direction?

With regard to package management, Emery is actively developing the use
of the Nix package manager on top of Genode. Even though this line of
work is at an experimental stage, I find the prospects for our project
very exciting:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/1082#issuecomment-142920055