Genode as a mobile operating system

Madhu (Macaque Labs) madhu at ...275...
Wed Jul 29 04:16:24 CEST 2015

I have recently become an advisor to a  mobile handset OEM. They are
willing to support
genode efforts and since they are about a USD 1B in revenue, do have some
clout with
the OEMs (Mediatek and Qualcomm).

Qualcomm is also willing to support us directly but the problem is that
while they are willing to
release all data to support genode, it is under NDA. So cannot open source
it.
I guess the next best option is to have a closed binary module. Kind of what
Nvidia did with its graphics  drivers. Not a great option but better than
nothing.
I have been debating this
with Qualcomm for a year now ! The good news is that OEM is willing to sell
Genode based phones (with Android virtualized on top).

To overcome this issue, we at IIT-Madras have just finished development of
a Freescale i.MX6
based tablet. This is currently under testing (first 5 protos have come). I
hope to
start giving out samples (to be procured directly from vendor, we do not
charge any royalties
or file any patents)
in about 3-4 months. Cost will be around 350-400 USD (10 in IP screen, dual
core, weighs about 480-520 g)
This is a fully open system system. Next year we will replace the Cortex A9
with the
i.MX8 (Cortex A-53). Will not be state of art but definitely a more than
adequate tablet.
Cortex A9 does not support full HW virtualization.
The PCB comes with tamper detect signals brought out but case unfortunately
has no
reed switches yet, will have to do some mechanical work later. Secure, high
assurance boot is
fully enabled.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Sebastian Sumpf <
Sebastian.Sumpf at ...1...> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> On 07/27/2015 05:42 PM, Nobody III wrote:
> > One possible target for Genode, aside from PCs and development boards,
> > would be smartphones. The security measures tend to be "don't install
> > this app if you don't want to give it these permissions." With Genode,
> > this problem is easy to fix. Also, security exploits would be a lot
> > harder. It seems to make sense to make a mobile operating system with
> > Genode. We could use Cyanogenmod and/or Android code for app and
> > hardware support. I have an old working android phone that I would be
> > happy to use to test this, and will probably have another available
> > within a few weeks. Note that there are no official Cyanogenmod ports
> > for either device, but there might be an unofficial port for one of them.
>
> We already did this exemplary for Exynos 5250, which is the Samsung
> Galaxy S4 platform. Unfortunately, these platforms or SoCs are not very
> well documented, if at all (e.g., Snapdragon). With the only well
> documented SoC (Texas Instrument's OMAP) gone, smartphone platforms have
> become really really hard to deploy without having manufacturer support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian
>

> --
> Sebastian Sumpf