Genode as a mobile operating system

Sebastian Sumpf Sebastian.Sumpf at ...1...
Tue Jul 28 16:41:06 CEST 2015

Hi Ben,

On 07/27/2015 05:42 PM, Nobody III wrote:
> One possible target for Genode, aside from PCs and development boards,
> would be smartphones. The security measures tend to be "don't install
> this app if you don't want to give it these permissions." With Genode,
> this problem is easy to fix. Also, security exploits would be a lot
> harder. It seems to make sense to make a mobile operating system with
> Genode. We could use Cyanogenmod and/or Android code for app and
> hardware support. I have an old working android phone that I would be
> happy to use to test this, and will probably have another available
> within a few weeks. Note that there are no official Cyanogenmod ports
> for either device, but there might be an unofficial port for one of them.

We already did this exemplary for Exynos 5250, which is the Samsung
Galaxy S4 platform. Unfortunately, these platforms or SoCs are not very
well documented, if at all (e.g., Snapdragon). With the only well
documented SoC (Texas Instrument's OMAP) gone, smartphone platforms have
become really really hard to deploy without having manufacturer support.

Cheers,

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Sumpf