Booting genode/nova

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Sun Jun 22 11:57:08 CEST 2014

On 21.06.2014 18:42, w_schmidt at ...181... wrote:
>> To sanity check this - you may comment out everything beside 'bender' in
>> the grub menu.ls
>
> Maybe that is the core of the problem. I have no bender in the grub entry.

Ok, than it can not work with Intel/AMT SOL automatically.

> I have no bender in the grub entry.

Why not ? Whenever you invoke a run script it is added automatically to
the resulting grub menu.lst respectively pulsar config file.

Without it the feature using our run script in conjunction with
Intel/AMT and switching easily between different test boxes (having
potentially all different I/O ports for serial devices) becomes pointless.

> On the x201 I have ubuntu12.04 with grub2. I tired to use the menu.lst which
> was in var/run/demo/boot/grub/menu.lst, but it hasn't worked. (and as the
> "legacy/classic mode seems to made problems, i decided to create a grub 2
> entry.)
>
> Therefore i created an boot entry for grub2 for genode like :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cat << EOF
> menuentry "Genode" {
>     insmod ext2
>     multiboot /genode/hypervisor iommu serial
> }
> which bootet the genode demo on nova without an error.
>
> The kernel command from grub1 is no longer supported.
> So I tried now :
> cat << EOF
> menuentry "Genode" {
>     insmod ext2
>     linux /genode/bender
>     multiboot /genode/hypervisor iommu serial
> }

:-) - Don't make things complicated. Just stay close to the original
grub menu.lst - for me works this on a recent Ubuntu 12.04 LTS grub 2
installation:

cat << EOF
menuentry "Genode" {
     insmod ext2
     multiboot /genode/bender
     module /genode/hypervisor
     module /genode/core
     module /genode/config config
     module /genode/init init
}

and if you just want to see the output of bender :

cat << EOF
menuentry "Genode" {
     insmod ext2
     multiboot /genode/bender