[RFC] I guess we need an IRC channel at Freenode

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Jan 19 21:31:55 CET 2012

Hello,

> I'm in there just because of this thread, but the channel doesn't
> belong to me (I don't think!).  According to freenode, the channel
> doesn't belong to anyone at this point!
>
> 12:24 <tommd> info #genode
> 12:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at ...94...)- Channel #genode is not registered.
>
> I'd grab it myself, but am neither worried about someone maliciously
> taking it nor interested in figuring out how to share / give away OP.

thanks Thomas for the information. I agree that we should not to be too
worried about grabbing the #genode channel for now. Before advertising
IRC as an official community resource, I'd like to see how serious this
channel is going to be used.

Frankly, I'm in a quite similar position as Christian. Because of many
time constraints with regard to my working hours and family life, my
presence at the IRC would certainly be quite irregular. I'm also a bit
afraid that this fully synchronous mode of communication may receive
just too much of my attention. At least this was my experience when I
was hanging out at #atariscne years ago. .-)

Also, I am bit uncertain about having a further Genode-related
communication channel in addition to the Genode.org news, the mailing
list, issue tracker, Google+, and Genode Labs news letter.

However, I'd like to give it a go. Let's see what comes out of it.