Using the HTTP server via TAP

mx at ...19... mx at ...19...
Wed Jun 2 13:18:24 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if I've got your setup right or not.

You have a host operating system (guess linux) with two qemu instances, one
running Windows XP and the other running genode with the webserver.

Your host system also runs a dhcp server which assigns the same ip address to
both qemu instances.

This assignment could be caused by the fact that both qemu instances have the
same mac address.

The 10.02 release notes state that the nic driver "fakes an ethernet NIC with
the MAC address 02-00-00-00-00-01". Where could that MAC address come from? The
driver obtains it from qemu in dde_tx_handler:

dde_linux26_net_get_mac_addr(1, (unsigned char*)_mac_addr.addr);

This schould be exactly that MAC address you shoud have configured when starting
up qemu (did you?):

This could look like "-net nic,model=pcnet,macaddr=00:81:71:61:51:41"

Perhaps you forgot this step?

If you haven't, it would be helpful if you provided a Wireshark trace taken from
your tap interface.

Cheers

Sven

Peter Nguyen <petern at ...34...> hat am 2. Juni 2010 um 05:04
geschrieben:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering in using TAP with the HTTP server (and following
> the instructions in the genode 10.02 documentation), i've noticed that
> when i have multiple connections to the server, whereby i have a windows
> xp virtual machine making requests to the server in addition to the host
> operating system (the XP vm is running in qemu as well as the web
> server), the IP addresses that the web server obtains are always the
> same regardless of the machine making the requests. Does anyone know how
> to provide unique IP addresses for each VM ie. is there an option i
> can/need to specify when i run qemu? or is there something i have to do
> with dhcpd3 or the conf,pid or lease files to ensure this functionality.
>
> Thanks
> Peter

Sven Fülster