Configuring the TAP version of the HTTP server

mx at ...19... mx at ...19...
Tue Feb 23 16:31:18 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

my scripts were just a suggestion because they work in my special case. I'm
using a machine with two interfaces, eth0 and wlan0.

With the scripts, I bridge qemu to eth0, and during this step, eth0 becomes
unusable for my host OS for whatever reason.

Therefore, I tell my host OS to use wlan0 instead by modifying the routing
tables:

! route del -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
! route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev wlan0

Perhaps you must also set the default route to the second interface:

! route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0

With this configuration, I reach qemu over the external 'link' from wlan0 to
eth0.

Note, that this might be a dirty solution far from being perfect in any case :)

Good luck

Sven

Peter Nguyen <peter.nguyen at ...29...> hat am 23. Februar 2010 um 13:17
geschrieben:

> Christian,
>
> So i copied the three scripts Sven provided, and I am not able to get
> the bridged connection working. Every time i run the script, the
> current eth0 connection is closed, and another ethernet connection is
> created that results in no interaction with the outside world. When i
> close the server and run the ifdown.sh script, the ethernet connection
> goes back to normal.
>
> Am i meant to follow the instructions you provided in your email
> before i run these scripts? I tried doing that myself and it didn't
> work.

> Peter Nguyen
> Jacaranda Research Group
>

> On 23/02/2010, at 7:47 PM, Christian Helmuth wrote:
>
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:40:42PM +1030, Peter Nguyen wrote:
> >> OK, so now i've got the server up and running, and I can use the
> >> local
> >> web browser to access the address 10.0.0.16.
> >
> > Great :-D
> >
> >> However, I was under the impression that this IP address could be
> >> accessed by other machines. Am I right in saying this? Or is access
> >> to this server only restricted to other qemu instances?
> >
> > I'm not sure if I understand your question, but... Qemu is using the
> > Linux tun/tap network device to provide a virtual ethernet NIC to the
> > guest OS. The tap device is subject to Linux' standard networking
> > configuration, i.e., is just a new NIC at the host. If you don't
> > configure your system for bridging (as Sven outlined) or with special
> > IP forwarding rules, no other machine has access to your emulated
> > system in Qemu.
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > Christian Helmuth
> > Genode Labs
> >
> > http://www.genode-labs.com/ · http://genode.org/
> >
> > Genode Labs GmbH · Amtsgericht Dresden · HRB 28424 · Sitz Dresden
> > Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske, Christian Helmuth

Sven Fülster