Configuring the TAP version of the HTTP server

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Tue Feb 23 10:17:02 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:40:42PM +1030, Peter Nguyen wrote:
> OK, so now i've got the server up and running, and I can use the local
> web browser to access the address 10.0.0.16.

Great :-D

> However, I was under the impression that this IP address could be
> accessed by other machines. Am I right in saying this? Or is access
> to this server only restricted to other qemu instances?

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but... Qemu is using the
Linux tun/tap network device to provide a virtual ethernet NIC to the
guest OS. The tap device is subject to Linux' standard networking
configuration, i.e., is just a new NIC at the host. If you don't
configure your system for bridging (as Sven outlined) or with special
IP forwarding rules, no other machine has access to your emulated
system in Qemu.

Christian Helmuth