Cannot Link Genode 9.02 for L4Ka::Pistachio (With minimal customisation for i9)

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sat Apr 11 20:57:33 CEST 2009

Hi Tyson,

Tyson Key wrote:
> Hi, I am currently working on a new L4Ka::Pistachio-based operating
> system project,  and am contemplating integrating Genode components.
> Sadly, in the process of integrating Genode into the build system, I've
> noticed that the linking stage fails towards the end of building core
> with the following:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ll4
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: ***
> [/home/tyson/i9os/Personalities/GenodeKit/build.pistachio_x86/core/x86/core]
> Error 1
> make[1]: *** [single_target] Error 2
> make: *** [.] Error 2
>
> I had to copy the L4 header files into /base-pistachio/include/, despite
> also having them in a location specified in
> build.pistachio_x86/etc/pistachio.conf.

Normally, you don't need to copy L4 header files. It should be enough
to specify the location of your Pistachio user-land build directory
in your 'build.pistachio_x86/etc/pistachio.conf', for example:

  PISTACHIO_USER_BUILD_DIR = $(HOME)/src/l4ka-pistachio/user/build

This declaration is used for both the location of the L4 headers and
the location of the L4 API-to-ABI library called 'libl4.a'.

Of course, you have to build the Pistachio user land before building
Genode. Could you provide us with the output of 'make core VERBOSE='?
Using this output, we could see the arguments passed to the compiler
and linker.